Crackly and roasted around the edges, soft and tender inside. Sounds like an ornery old man with a heart of gold, but we’re talking about spuds here. This is what you get when you smash-roast little baby red and white potatoes. They’re beautiful, in a homey/homely way– but looks go only so far. These are better than good looking: the combination of crisp and creamy textures and salty potato goodness make them irresistible.
They are great to make when you’re having company, because you get most of the work done in advance. Boil, smash and brush as much as a day ahead, then pop them in the oven just before serving.
Here’s what you do. (The recipe follows.)
1. Place a boiled potato on your work surface and place a paper towel or cloth over it. Position your hand on the cloth so the heel of your hand is in the center of the potato
2. Press down until the potato is about 1/2-inch thick.
3. Carefully transfer the potatoes to the prepared roasting pan. Don’t worry if little bits fall off– just tuck them up next to the potato.
4. Brush the potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and dried rosemary.
5. Roast, and you get this.
Smash Roasted Potatoes
12 small (2-inch diameter) red and/or white potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Coat a baking sheet pan with cooking spray.
- Cover potatoes in a saucepan with 1 inch of lightly salted water; bring to a boil and cook until fork tender, about 8-10 minutes. Drain.
- Working with one potato at a time, cover the potato with a paper or cloth towel and press down lightly in the center with the palm of your hand until the potato is about ½-inch thick. Use a spatula to transfer to the baking sheet pan and repeat with the remaining potatoes. (Little bits of the potato may break apart. Simply place them on the pan nestled again the potato.)
- Brush the tops of the potatoes with the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and rosemary and bake until the edges are browned and crisp, about 20 minutes.
Makes 4 servings
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 150 calories, 2 g protein, 21 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 7 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 152 mg sodium