Yes, it can be this easy to make wings for Superbowl– wings that people will devour within minutes. All you do is cut ’em up, throw them on a baking sheet, and when they are just about done, mix a few ingredients together and brush the mixture on the wings. Bake 5 more minutes and you’re done. Yup– that’s it.
These wings are salty, spicy, savory and sweet all at once– the perfect Superbowl snack whether your team is winning or losing. I hope, of course, your team wins…
Chicken Wings Math
Wondering how many wings to buy to serve your crowd? Here’s the math.
* There are about 12 whole wings per pound.
* Cut each wing at the joint where the drumette (the piece that looks like a baby drumstick) attaches to the “flat”. Now instead of 12 pieces per pound, you have 24.
* I usually assume each person will eat the equivalent of three wings– 6 individual pieces. Some of my friends eat far more and some fewer. (It may depend on where they stand with their New Year’s resolutions).
* The “tip”, that little skinny pointed piece with barely any meat, is attached to the “flat”: you can leave it on or off– it’s your choice. If you remove the tips, as I usually do, throw them in a bag in the freezer and use them to make chicken soup.
Peruvian Chicken Wings
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup lower sodium soy sauce
¼ cup lime juice
2 tablespoon minced canned chipotle in adobo sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
3 pounds chicken wings, tips removed and split at the joint
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Coat a shallow baking sheet pan with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken on the prepared pan in a single, un-crowded layer and bake 40 minutes, until golden.
- Meanwhile, combine the garlic, soy sauce, lime juice, chipotle, honey, thyme, paprika and salt in a large bowl. After the wings are baked, brush them with the sauce and bake another 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 12 servings (about 6 pieces per person)
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 216 calories, 17 g protein, 4 g carbohydrates, 0 fiber, 14 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 313 mg sodium