Yes, that’s right, I grilled the lettuce. Grilled romaine gets a slight smoky char flavor, which gives ordinary, bland lettuce some needed gusto. It takes less than 4 minutes to grill and maybe 2 minutes to make the dressing, which means this is as easy as it is a tasty way of getting your vegetable fix.
Grilled Romaine with Shaved Parmesan and Lemon Dressing
2 Romaine hearts, halved lengthwise
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon Dijon
2 teaspoons lemon juice, plus half a lemon for garnish
1/4 cup shaved Parmesan*
1. Coat the grill rack with cooking spray; heat the grill.
2. Brush the cut side of Romaine hearts with about 1 teaspoon of the oil. Season with the salt.
3. Make the dressing: Cut the lemon in half and extract the juice from one half. Cut the other half in 1/4-inch thick slices. Whisk the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, mustard, and lemon juice together.
4. Place the lemon slices and Romaine hearts (cut-side down) on the grill; cook until lightly browned and marked on the underside, about 2 minutes. Turn and cook another minute, or until lightly marked on the underside.
5. To serve, drizzle the Romaine with the dressing and top with the shaved Parm. Accompany with the lemon slices.
* Use a vegetable peeler to shave the Parmesan into wide, very thin slices.