This sweet beauty, which makes a lovely alternative to the usual apple pie, may be assembled three days ahead and baked the day before…or, make the topping months ahead (too late for that this year!) and keep it in the freezer.
Serve it topped with a dollop of whipped cream or crème fraîche– or fold sweetened whipped cream into whipped mascarpone for a real treat.
Apple Plum Crisp
3 1/2 pounds apples, peeled and thinly sliced (Granny Smith, Golden Delicious and HoneyCrisp are all good choices)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 pound plums, cut in wedges
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks butter, cut into bits
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups oats
1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Coat a 9-by-12-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
3. Combine apples and lemon juice; toss thoroughly. Add the plums, vanilla, flour, sugar, cinnamon and cardamom; toss and transfer to the prepared baking dish.
4. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, butter and brown sugar, working the mixture with a pastry fork, two butter knives or your fingertips until it forms into coarse crumbs. Add in the oats and pecans and combine thoroughly.
5. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the apples and place the crisp in the center of the oven until the edges bubble up and the apples are tender when stuck with a fork, about 55 minutes. Let cool slightly before cutting.
Makes 16 servings.