This stuffed potato tastes as though it should be a diet-blower– but all this cheesy goodness has only 255 calories.
Bacon and Cheddar Stuffed Potato
2 10-12-ounce baking potatoes
2 slices bacon
1/2 cup skim milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon shredded light cheddar
1/4 cup chopped scallion
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Coat a small baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Prick the potatoes all over with a fork. Microwave for 10 minutes, turning once, or until they are fork tender. Let them cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a skillet. Remove it from the pan and drain on paper towel. When it is cool, crumble or chop the bacon into small bits. Remove all but about 2 teaspoons of the bacon fat from the pan and remove the pan from the heat.
- When the potatoes are slightly cool, cut them in half lengthwise. Scoop out the centers, leaving a 1/4-inch thick “wall” all the way around.
- Heat the bacon fat and add the potato pulp, cutting it up with a fork. Stir in the milk and salt and continue mashing the potato until it is thoroughly combined. Stir in the 1/2 cup of cheese and immediately remove from the heat. Stir in the scallions and crumbled bacon. Spoon the mixture into the hallowed out potatoes and place on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of cheese over the filling and bake until the cheese melts, about 4-5 minutes.
Makes 4 servings
255 calories, 11 g protein, 4 g fiber, 6 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 370 mg sodium