The thighs may be made in advance and reheated. You may make these with fresh or frozen peaches, or substitute another fruit, such as apples, plums or pears.
Spice Rubbed Roast Chicken Thighs with Peaches
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
4 1/2 pounds chicken thighs
1/2 cup balsamic
1/4 cup peach preserves
1/2 cup lower sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup orange juice
3 cups peach (or nectarine) slices
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro (parsley may be substituted)
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and lay the thighs out in a single layer.
- Combine the brown sugar, cumin, cardamom, coriander, ginger, salt and cayenne in a bowl. Pat the spice blend on the thighs and bake 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the balsamic, peach preserves, chicken broth, and orange juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Continue boiling for 10 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced to 1 cup.
- Place the peach slices around the chicken and pour the reduced liquid over it. Bake for another 10 minutes, or until a meat thermometer stuck in the thickest part of the largest thigh registers 175F.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the chicken with the cilantro (or parsley).
Makes 8 servings
437 calories, 35 g protein, 24 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 21 g fat, 6 g satfat, 453 mg sodium